A Rant in Rhyme Saves Time

January 30, 2009 | By | 10 Replies More

Here is a beat poem that first appeared on YouTube as a concert bootleg with subtitles about a month ago. The artist quickly had the bootleg taken down. And then received a Storm of protests, requests to post it again. Finally, he put it up himself. Sans subtitles, or even video. So listen well to a rational rant that many of us would love to be capable of delivering.

Storm, by Tim Minchin

I’ve seen those warning eyes from both my wives, and held my piece for a while. But the temptation is great to emulate this artists storm of bile.

Tags: , ,

Category: Entertainment, Humor, ignorance, Medicine, nature, Religion, Science, scientific method, snake oil, Videos, Whimsy

A convoluted mind behind a curly face. A regular traveler, a science buff, and first generation American. Graying of hair, yet still verdant of mind. Lives in South St. Louis City. See his personal website for (too much) more.

1. Niklaus Pfirsig says:

I LIKE IT!!!!!

Particularly the bit at the end.

2. Alison says:

Minchin is amazing. I've watched a ton of his videos, love them almost completely. Did you find this on his fansite? (http://www.angry-feet.com/home.php)

I found it on Pharyngula in December (I want this guy at my parties), and he recently posted a link to the new, approved version.

Here's another take on the issue of socially outing oneself as a rationalist, by TwistedPhysics: Skeptic Etiquette

Dan: When someone brings up astrology, I usually mention two things.

A) I know a woman who was born on the exact same morning as me (April 28, 1956, we were even born in the same hospital). We are opposites in most ways.

B) James Randi did a clever experiment where he handed custom written astrology charts to every student in a class and asked them to read them.

After they were done, he asked them whether their charts were accurate. Almost every student raised his/her hand to say yes. Then, Randi asked the students to exchange the charts with a student next to them. There was a lot of laughing because the students realized that they had been tricked. All of the charts were identical, yet every student thought that the chart was specifically (and accurately) about him/her.

For another Randi twist on astrology, check out this entertaining video:

That's usually enough to cower the astrology believers. I do think, though, that astrology was a much more discussed belief several decades ago. I rarely hear anyone asking me for my "sign" anymore.

It sometimes still happens, though. See http://dangerousintersection.org/2008/02/13/my-se

6. Niklaus Pfirsig says:

On astrology:

Those that want to believe can't be swayed.

I often tell people that I am the second worst guitar player I know. On the other hand one of the most talented players is Edward (Eddie) Van Halen, who, though famous for his hard rock style is equally adept in playing blues, classical, and jazz styles.

My birthday is January 26. Eddie's birthday is also January 26. Some astrology fans will mention the difference in years, (Eddie is 4 years older), but the really die hard believers will claim the difference is due to being born in different places ( I was born near Pittsbugh, PA, and Eddie was born somewhere in Denmark.

No matter what obvious flaw in the superstitious belief there is a conveniently contrived "rule" and explanation that attempts to plug that hole and complicating things until it starts to sound like the rules for Royal Fizzbin from the "Startrek" TV series.

The belivers readily accept this complex mythology when a much more obvious conclusion is that, except for tidal strains which cause variations in the earth's orbit and some associated weather phenoma, the positions of our neighbors in the solar system don't influence life on earth and certain can't be proven to determine the future aptitudes and skill sets of a chile at birth.

7. He is very fun and so fabulously eloquent.

What's the last sentence that he says? I don't get all the words.

The last line is: "And if perchance I have offended, think of this and all is mended: Would as well be 10 minutes back in time for all the chance you'll change your mind."

The preface is part of the conclusion in A Midsummer Night's Dream. The closing sentence expresses the futility of these discussions.

9. Tim Hogan says:

I'm reminded of the repeated disputation over whether God exists, which despite my protestation still persist.

Choose to believe, or not as you wish!

Ooops! It's Friday, I must eat fish!