Hannity mocks Obama for choice of mustard

May 7, 2009 | By | 9 Replies More

More proof that the conservatives are intellectually bankrupt:  Instead of using valuable air time to discuss one of the many critical issues of the day, they mock President Obama for his request for dijon mustard on his hamburger.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Media

1. I always eat my burgers without ketchup. And yes! I do like dijon mustard on my burgers and hot dogs. You go Barack!

2. Tony Coyle says:

Ketchup is an American abomination!

Mustard, sparingly, is acceptable. It does enhance meat flavors. Better still – simply a juicy burger with real complements (crisp lettuce, fresh tomato, sharp onions, good cheese) is best.

Ketchup is simply there to moisten and flavor otherwise unremarkable meat.

and let the flame wars begin.

3. USpace says:

The Left is just keeping this 'Mustard story' alive, the Right had a chuckle and moved on. There are many much more important things to criticize this administration about. The Left doesn't want people focusing on the big stuff, because that's where it's most dangerous to them. The Truth will bring them down, God willing.

Yes, USpace, the Conservative Media did move on to some other snarky story. But the point of this post was the tone of the mustard story. The mustard story is yet another attempt by the political right to show that Obama should be considered "elitist" and out of touch based on nothing at all (I'll bet that thousands of conservatives use spicy mustard on their food, but it would never occur to them to ridicule each others' ability to lead based upon that preference). The Obama mustard story was a desperate attempt to pull down Obama because the right has nothing else to say about solving the massive problems facing this country. The mustard story is a classic example of Nietzschean ressentiment.

As far as distractions, consider that conservatives concocted the need for an immensely expensive and protracted war in Iraq so that it could distract Americans from real issues for many years. You've got to be kidding when you suggest that progressives are afraid of real issues. Obama is addressing real issues head-on, one after another.

4. Tony Coyle says:

FYI

Mustard is a standard condiment in Chi-town – and I don't think anyone would characterize that town as elitist.

Another storm in a 'tea' cup.

Tony: The right-wingers don't have a problem with bright yellow cheap mustard. It's because Obama wanted dijon type mustard that he is now disqualified from being President.

5. Tony Coyle says:

So by that argument, if he'd asked for 'deli style' he'd be sucking up to the Jewish lobby?

I know that they're looking for anything elitist. If he was really being elitist he'd demand a Kobe beef burger!

6. Niklaus Pfirsig says:

I can picture it now…

Scene: K-street, Hot muggy day, an old Ford station wagon is waiting in line at a red light, all windows down, driver (looking remarkably like Joe the Plumber) sweating bullets, wishing the air conditioning had not crapped out 6 years ago…

The Presidential limo stops to the left of the Ford,

a window on the limo glides down, Aa stern looking Secret service ssstares at the driver and from behind him we hear the President ask

"Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"

Seriously Tony, If you eat enough fast-food you too may appreciate the power that ketchup has in adding flavor to something that hass almost none.

7. Tony Coyle says:

Niklaus

Maybe that's the thing – I suppose I am elitist, since my wife & I are (now) extremely careful about what we eat … two years in Switzerland helped to re-educate our palates! Real food. Real tastes.

I rarely use any condiments – and if I do it's as part of a sauce or dressing for something naturally 'dry' (like salad).

A burger should be juicy — add a slice of fresh beefsteak (or Roma) tomato, some crispy lettuce and freshly sliced flavorful cheese — you don't need anything else!

The fastest food we eat is when I make Panini! (yum)