Consider, that many religions consider it immoral to do any of the following:
- Ask certain obvious questions (Is there a God? Will God decide to abolish hell?)
- Follow evidence wherever it leads. (Many Believers refuse to consider indisputable indicators demonstrating that the earth is actually more than 6,000 years old).
- Admit that one does not really know (or that one doubts) the basic religious teachings of one’s church (Did Jesus actually and literally multiply loaves and fish?)
- Depersonalize the study of why religions exist (They abhor the use of psychology, biology and the other sciences to consider whether there are demonstrable reasons other than truth that motivate religious Beliefs).
- To buy enthusiastically into the scientific method (except to cherry-pick science to attack other people’s religions).
It’s not surprising, then, that religious differences are so often resolved by the use of force and violence.